username: password:       register (it's free!)    
logo
community home > Knitting > WIPs (Works In Progress) > The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
2173 views   6 replies   Latest reply: March 13, 2010 at 8:21:14 AM

 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #1
The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
March 7, 2010 at 2:15:14 PM
 
Well, I've started on it.  This is the experimental piece that I want to make with as little seaming as possible (or none at all, if it can be done).

This is a cardigan.  I cast on the one front piece, the back piece, then the other front piece, connecting the cast on parts as I went along, by pulling my slip knot from each different skein through the last cast on stitch of the previous piece.  (Had to frog when I got overanxious and mistakenly cast on the back piece first.)

I'm using a knitted cast on.  My preference is the cable cast on, but as it's a little more difficult to pull the stitches through, I went with the slightly simpler cast on.

My plan is to knit each piece with the separate skeins and twist the edge yarns, as if changing colors.  This may or may not be less trouble than seaming, but I'm using a dark blue yarn and have no desire whatsoever to try to find the edge stitches!

I've marked the "ends" of each skein/piece (e.g., between stitches) with "stitch markers" - bright red contrasting yarn.  Yes, I know they do make those little plastic markers, but darn it, I can never find them when needed!

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=



Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Miss Freckles
 
Member since:
Nov 9, 2009
Posts: 62
knitnknanny message #2
Re: The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
March 8, 2010 at 3:34:18 AM
 
Melanie,

I use contrast yarn tied on my knitting needles for markers most of the time. I have plastic markers, too, but if they're too big, they dig into my hands when I'm holding my needles. Sometimes it doesn't bother me, but other times it distracts me too much. So, I use yarn markers.  I've saved a few of them to use over again. And again.  :-)

Marilyn


 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #3
Re: The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
March 8, 2010 at 3:32:32 PM
 
Marilyn,

That's the best thing about them, isn't it?  They can be reused, they cost nothing...and they're nice and soft...easy on the hands.  Smiley  And if you lose a few, it doesn't matter...you don't need to go out and buy a new set.

It's also a great use for acrylic yarn!  Smiley

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=



Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Member since:
Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 270
wizdmzchyld message #4
Re: The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
March 9, 2010 at 6:47:04 AM
 
I save my clipped ends from other projects for that purpose and keep them in a jar.  Using a needle to slip them through the stitch to keep count works easily.

Charlene

Quote:

Melanie,

I use contrast yarn tied on my knitting needles for markers most of the time. I have plastic markers, too, but if they're too big, they dig into my hands when I'm holding my needles. Sometimes it doesn't bother me, but other times it distracts me too much. So, I use yarn markers.  I've saved a few of them to use over again. And again.  :-)

Marilyn



 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #5
Re: The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
March 9, 2010 at 11:52:22 AM
 
Charlene,

That's an excellent idea...I need to start doing that!  LOL, usually, I've been grabbing the end of whatever's handy at the time.

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=



Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Miss Freckles
 
Member since:
Nov 9, 2009
Posts: 62
knitnknanny message #6
Re: The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
March 9, 2010 at 7:10:40 PM
 
Charlene,

I like the way you think. I don't like things going to waste, so now there's a good reason to save those tails.  Smiley

Marilyn

Quote:

I save my clipped ends from other projects for that purpose and keep them in a jar.  Using a needle to slip them through the stitch to keep count works easily.

Charlene




 
Member since:
Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 270
wizdmzchyld message #7
Re: The Great Teddy Bear Sweater Experiment
March 13, 2010 at 8:21:14 AM
 
I have an empty mayo jar that I use stuffed full with odd lenghts that are useful for marking rows and keeping counts.  Usually, I only keep lengths that are longer than three inches. ;-)

Charlene

Quote:

Charlene,

I like the way you think. I don't like things going to waste, so now there's a good reason to save those tails.  Smiley

Marilyn

Quote:

I save my clipped ends from other projects for that purpose and keep them in a jar.  Using a needle to slip them through the stitch to keep count works easily.

Charlene




 
freePatternWizard
Premier Features
  • 300 Stitches Across
  • 500 Stitches Across
  • Filet Crochet   NEW!
  • Illusion Knitting
  • Private Label Pdfs
© copyright 2010-2020 Stitchboard.com   All rights reserved