username: password:       register (it's free!)    
logo
cat Bordhi
5432 views   17 replies   Latest reply: March 3, 2010 at 8:38:28 PM
Go to Page: 
1

 
Member since:
Nov 22, 2009
Posts: 34
pepper message #1
cat Bordhi
February 2, 2010 at 7:14:14 AM
 
I signed up for a knitting class in March to make socks using Cat Bordhi's new method from "Insouciant Knitting". Anyone else tried this?



 
Member since:
Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 270
wizdmzchyld message #2
Re: cat Bordhi
February 2, 2010 at 9:05:06 AM
 
Nope, I haven't but will look forward to a full report from you.  Where are you taking the class?

Charlene

Quote:

I signed up for a knitting class in March to make socks using Cat Bordhi's new method from "Insouciant Knitting". Anyone else tried this?




 
Miss Freckles
 
Member since:
Nov 9, 2009
Posts: 62
knitnknanny message #3
Re: cat Bordhi
February 2, 2010 at 8:31:20 PM
 
Is that Cat Bordhi's newest book? I've heard of the New Pathways.  (I know that's not the exact title--the rest of it escapes me right now.)  I've seen photos of socks made from the patterns in it. They look quite interesting. I'm sure this latest book is the same way.

I, too, look forward to hearing about your class.

Marilyn

Quote:

I signed up for a knitting class in March to make socks using Cat Bordhi's new method from "Insouciant Knitting". Anyone else tried this?




 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #4
Re: cat Bordhi
February 3, 2010 at 2:13:52 AM
 
Pepper,

I haven't tried this either.  Cat Bordhi is very innovative, so I can't wait to hear about your experience!  Smiley  I love her moebius knitting techniques and have several moebius videos in a playlist that I've shared in the Multimedia section.

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=


Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Member since:
Nov 22, 2009
Posts: 34
pepper message #5
Re: cat Bordhi
February 4, 2010 at 7:54:56 PM
 
My class is at KnitWitts a LYS but it doesn't start till March. I'll tell you all how it turns out.


 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #6
Re: cat Bordhi
February 5, 2010 at 10:43:10 AM
 
Pepper,

Please do!  I look forward to hearing all about it...I'm so happy for you...and green with envy!  Smiley

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=


Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Member since:
Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 270
wizdmzchyld message #7
Re: cat Bordhi
February 15, 2010 at 9:10:58 AM
 
I just wish there was a local place to learn but the closest one is 25 miles away.  My greatest wish is for a place I could learn to REALLY use my knitting machines close by.  My kingdom for a live teacher! It's been long and laborious learning the machines, but well worth it.  It's exciting to learn new things.


Charlene

Quote:

My class is at KnitWitts a LYS but it doesn't start till March. I'll tell you all how it turns out.



 
Member since:
Nov 22, 2009
Posts: 34
pepper message #8
Re: cat Bordhi
February 24, 2010 at 9:58:11 AM
 
I have tremendous respect for you learning the knitting machine. I am a luddite and horrible at everything technical. I don't even know how to download pics from my camera to the computer.


 
Member since:
Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 270
wizdmzchyld message #9
Re: cat Bordhi
February 25, 2010 at 8:21:05 AM
 
Thank you!  Fortunately there are DVD's out there that have become my in-home classroom.  Youtube is a excellent source also.  I couldn't have done it without help.  I'm a visual learner.  Reading destructions and trying to follow them doesn't work for me. Lips sealed Cheesy

Charlene

Quote:

I have tremendous respect for you learning the knitting machine. I am a luddite and horrible at everything technical. I don't even know how to download pics from my camera to the computer.



 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #10
Re: cat Bordhi
February 25, 2010 at 10:15:13 PM
 
Charlene,

I agree that visuals are usually the best...I did learn knitting, crochet and beadwork from books, but would have much preferred videos!  Books can be very difficult, because everything is flat...and IMO, when you're talking about something that's 3D in the first place, flat can be quite unclear for seeing good detail.

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=



Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Miss Freckles
 
Member since:
Nov 9, 2009
Posts: 62
knitnknanny message #11
Re: cat Bordhi
February 26, 2010 at 1:24:20 AM
 
I found the "can be quite unclear for seeing detail" to be very true when I was trying to learn tatting from photos and illustrations in books.  I'd work at it for a while, then put it away for a while. It took me years to figure out what I was doing wrong. 

I haven't done any tatting for a long time. It takes so long before you have anything to show for your time. I kinda recall seeing a pattern leaflet thingy with patterns for tatting that called for yarn--sport wt, maybe?--but it was years ago. Seems like the patterns were for shawls or ponchos, or something like that.

Marilyn

Quote:

Books can be very difficult, because everything is flat...and IMO, when you're talking about something that's 3D in the first place, flat can be quite unclear for seeing good detail.

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=




 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #12
Re: cat Bordhi
February 26, 2010 at 3:15:50 PM
 
Marilyn,

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has struggled!  I can figure many things out, but like you, there are some that go way over my head.

As for tatting, same here...although I apparently never got quite as far as you did...what fantastic perseverence!  Smiley  I actually was able to make one knot, but after that, couldn't produce another one for anything.

Tatting with yarn sounds very unusual!  I'm familiar with the usual cotton thread for tatting, which is nice, but the idea of yarn tatting is quite exciting.  Wow, now I want to try to tat again!  Smiley

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=



Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Miss Freckles
 
Member since:
Nov 9, 2009
Posts: 62
knitnknanny message #13
Re: cat Bordhi
February 27, 2010 at 4:37:58 AM
 
Melanie,

I remember producing one knot. Then I progressed to one ring. Whee!!  And that's where I'd get stuck. Ya know, tatting doesn't look like much when all you have is one ring.  Cheesy

I sometimes wish I'd ordered one or two of those leaflets about yarn tatting. I bet there's probably one out there somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it.  Smiley

Have you ever heard of Cro-tatting? It's more or less single crochet over chains, but it does look quite a bit like tatting. I ordered a hook from Annie's Attic a few years ago, along with a pattern. Or maybe it was a leaflet with more than one pattern.  Anyway, I remember sitting down and reading through the instructions on how to do it, but I never took hook in hand to give it a try.  ...One of these days....  Grin

Marilyn

Quote:

Marilyn,

I actually was able to make one knot, but after that, couldn't produce another one for anything.

Tatting with yarn sounds very unusual!  I'm familiar with the usual cotton thread for tatting, which is nice, but the idea of yarn tatting is quite exciting.  Wow, now I want to try to tat again!  Smiley

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=




 
Look at that smile! (Photo guaranteed unretouched)
 
Member since:
Jul 1, 2009
Posts: 4499
Stitchboard Admin message #14
Re: cat Bordhi
March 1, 2010 at 9:56:52 PM
 
Marilyn,

Quote:

Melanie,

I remember producing one knot. Then I progressed to one ring. Whee!!  And that's where I'd get stuck. Ya know, tatting doesn't look like much when all you have is one ring.   Cheesy


LOL, and it looks like even less when all you have is one measly knot!  Grin

Quote:

I sometimes wish I'd ordered one or two of those leaflets about yarn tatting. I bet there's probably one out there somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it.   Smiley


Hope you find it!  Here is something I recently found...is this gorgeous, or what?!
http://totusmel.blogspot.com/2008/10/free-tatted-scarf-pattern.html

Quote:

Have you ever heard of Cro-tatting? It's more or less single crochet over chains, but it does look quite a bit like tatting. I ordered a hook from Annie's Attic a few years ago, along with a pattern. Or maybe it was a leaflet with more than one pattern.   Anyway, I remember sitting down and reading through the instructions on how to do it, but I never took hook in hand to give it a try.  ...One of these days....   Grin


I know...never enough time to do everything!  I've heard of cro-tatting, but never tried it.  What does the hook look like?

Melanie  (known to the cat as "Rowr" or "Rowr Rowr") =^.^=



Melanie  (cat slave and Official Feline Can Opener) =^.^=
~~~~~
I'm a beading, knitting and crochet addict.  If that means I'm admitting I have a problem, then I admit to nothing. Please refrain from helping me.


 
Miss Freckles
 
Member since:
Nov 9, 2009
Posts: 62
knitnknanny message #15
Re: cat Bordhi
March 2, 2010 at 3:24:19 AM
 
Melanie,

Quote:

Here is something I recently found...is this gorgeous, or what?!
http://totusmel.blogspot.com/2008/10/free-tatted-scarf-pattern.html


That is a cool looking pattern. It would go much faster if a bigger yarn was used to make it, though.

Quote:

I know...never enough time to do everything!  I've heard of cro-tatting, but never tried it.  What does the hook look like?


When I did a search, I didn't find as much as I had hoped. Here's one photo of the hook.
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/classes2/crotat.html

Come to think of it, I think the hook was on clearance sale when I bought it. I guess it was one of those crafts that didn't go over very well.

Marilyn

Go to Page: 
1
 
freePatternWizard
Premier Features
  • 300 Stitches Across
  • 500 Stitches Across
  • Filet Crochet   NEW!
  • Illusion Knitting
  • Private Label Pdfs
© copyright 2010-2020 Stitchboard.com   All rights reserved